View Single Post
Old 05-05-2001, 03:45 PM   #26
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Charlie, I knew you were what you are, and I've long thought you a legend. I believe early on I expressed an emotional response to one of your vulnerable posts. Since then you've cracked me up with many a humorous wisecrack (pardon the pun).

I work in Kings Cross in Sydney. If I feel like a coffee at 4am, I walk down to the street and do 'the gauntlet' past a sea of pushers asking if I want mary jane or cocaine, or mostly drug addicted prostitutes asking me if I want sex. Oh yeah, then there are the spruikers urging me to check out the free 'shows' that are 'just starting'.

I've seen some interesting sights both down there and also during my career in the music industry, believe me. As a Christian I'm in the helpless postion of wanting to help but not having the foggiest idea of how, or even if that help would be welcomed. If I start being friendly to a pro, they immediately start trying to convince me to take them upstairs! We are not supposed to give money to the homeless Aboriginals in the area as it counters the social workers long term efforts. There is a middle eastern fellow who appears insane, but genuinely in need and so I've helped him out once or twice. But even so....

Anyhow. I've been wondering whether you think legalisation of currently illicit drugs would be a better solution than the one we have now, which clearly isn't working. It would remove the underground organised crime element would it not? Like the end of prohibition in Chicago?

The studio is down the street from a legal safe injecting gallery so users can have access to clean needles and a room, and also help if needed. A controversial Christian group - the Wayside Chapel - is running it I believe. It's not operational yet, but will be. It will be interesting to see the result. One thing that may clean up is the 'old-needle-on-beach' scenario. My wife was one of many who have stepped on one in the past. I remember we had a tense few months while we waited for the test results. (Negative thank God) Obviously users wouldn't have to share needles either.

I don't know why I'm posting this. It's 5:30am. I've just got to my folks house from being at the Cross, and I'm leaving the country later this evening. I just wanted to share some empathy or display some non-judgemental acceptance or something Charlie. I'm spewing we didn't hook up with each other in London. I will be returning so maybe we will yet. Drop me an email mate, so we can arrange anything further in advance.

Chanteur@bigpond.com is the go.

You're a great guy and I wish you all the best in fighting your 'demon'. We possibly all have one - a fatal flaw that can undo us. Some are more apparent and obviously destructive than others, but they exist, do they not?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!