View Single Post
Old 09-24-2001, 05:44 AM   #4
Ugaya
Manshoon

One of my parties consists of a sorcerer, Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo (Imoen), Aerie and Nalia. I went through SoA without problems. It was pure fun to play that magic-loaded party.
The stats of my elven sorcerer were:
STR=11, CON=17, DEX=15, INT=18, WIS=11, CHA=11.

Intelligence isn’t necessary at all but I like a sorcerer much better who is capable spelling his name without help. The low wisdom with its restrictions to the Limited Wish spell is "fixed" easily by a potion of insight. BTW I used the Limited Wish spell only once (for the connected quest), I never needed and tried the other goodies of that spell.
IMHO the only important stat is CON. If you need STR and DEX there are lots of spells. CHA is everything but not essential.
I now played 5 PC’s with different parties through SoA and I think a sorcerer has the far lowest requirements for stats.

Some general hints: (hopefully spoiler-free)
There are a few items (I don’t mean scrolls or wands) which are perfect replacements for certain - very important - spells. Sometimes I obtained them just after having my sorcerer chosen that spell. Well, that was a very interesting experience, wasting one of those precious spell slots for absolutely nothing....
SoA comes with a sophisticated system of "Protection from Magic" ((Minor) Spell Deflection/Turning…) and "Anti-Protection from Magic" (Spell Thrust, Pierce Magic …). Check this system very early in the game to decide which spell from which level your sorcerer should know. Check the "trigger","sequencer" and "contingency" spells as well.
I specialized my sorcerer in damaging and Divination spells because my other mages concentrated on hindering, summoning and anti-protection spells. Spell selection depends on the capabilities (and needs) of your whole party.
Do not forget the priest spells. They can save spell slots. As well as wands....

Well, I took care of all this stuff but that didn’t protect from wrong decisions...

[This message has been edited by Ugaya (edited 09-24-2001).]