View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001, 09:35 AM   #111
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Me too! My 40yr old daugher made a conscious choice not to have children many, many years ago, and has never seen reason to regret that choice. She is, however, adult!

Nonetheless, the childless do NOT really appreciate, imo, the responsibilities, pleasures and burdens of parenthood - it is a part of their potential they have not experienced or developed. It does not make them less adult, but it does make them less able to participate in/empathise with the concerns of parents. And I feel this is true whether a person has CHOSEN not to have children, or whether a person is UNABLE to have children. Forgive me if I am wrong in this assumption.
I hope Sir Taliesin only meant that - but even if not, I suspect his comments were more thoughless and lighthearted than serious in intent.

SORRY!!! Poor choice of words!!! Actually what I meant was what Flot said. Moridin your choice of words struck me wrong with the "...Minivans and children...". It was as if those of us that choose to have children are some how evil. It's a sentiment that I have caught here on other topics, though not from one as old and wise as you. I believe that everyone has the right not to have children. But, please respect those of us that do.

Melusine, I hadn't thought how my comment might hurt those that can't have children. For that I am truely sorry It was very callous!!!

Mel, your comment has also got me thinking about something else. I was watching TV the other night friday night. There was a program on about "average people" being heroes and how everyone had a story. It was on CBS. The reporter and a camera man/producer go somewhere in America, anywhere actually (they use the tried and true method of throwing a dart at a map). When they get there, they open the phone book and at random start calling people to interview (they have gone through has many has forty people until they find someone that will agree to an interview). they they spend several days with them until they find a story. In Michigan they found a couple in their thirties that couldn't have children. Soon after they got married, she developd some problems and had to have a hesterectomy (sp), so no children. They ended up become foster parents to two little boys. These two children were born to drug addicted parents, who apparently didn't take care of them. When the aurthoities got them off the streets at the ages of 4 and 6, they could barely talk and weren't clothed properily. the four year old wasn't even potty trained. This couple took them in about 4 or 5 years ago and where able to adopt them. They currently have another foster child, a baby, that they are trying to adopt as well. The point of this long story, that I have laboriously typed out, is that there are always ways to have children. There are also a lot of children out there to adopt!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?