View Single Post
Old 05-17-2001, 04:18 AM   #29
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo:
Well, being a former "Nighthawker" (okay i was medic over at Holloman AFB home of the stealth fighter [another misnomer as it's a tactical bomber not a fighter]), the reason that the BAe probably got to lock on, is that on all stealths are a device that sends out a radar signiture. This allows for radar for Air Trafic Control to be able to see the stealth and let the ATC's be able to tell it where to go. At an air show, us yanks would be takin all precaution we can, so 10 to 1 they had the radar emitter turned on to keep the tower going on it.

Btw, the Japanes nor the Iranians have the AWACS or Fleet C3 capable of giving them the long range kills that the US, Brits, French, NATO, and Russia could do. I do think the Saudi's are going with the newer model of AWACS and should have the capabilities, likewise the Israel's have some of there own too.

Iranians F-14 will be out of service due to attrition (they can't get parts, and have to scavenge for replacement parts), can't say when, unless we decided to sell parts too them.

I do agree that at the end of WW2 the Japanes were hurting for pilots, but the matter was at the begining of the war, we were outclassed and outnumbered by there aircraft (case can be made of the galant defense of the Britian too), but, Allies use of better training and tactics beat out the better aircraft.

Personally, I find it great that both the US and Russia are still developing aircraft that can push the limit in Air Superiority Aircraft. I still contend that US, NATO, Allies, and a few others will have the better performance, due to our emphasis on training, tactics, C3, and overall teamwork. You can have the best aircraft, but if the pilot's don't get air time, maintance is minimal, and the wing ain't workin like a well oiled machine, your setin on the tarmac as a big ol expensive target.
Hi Jimbo, good to hear from somebody who has been close to the aircraft, well on the same base anyway

I think the radar thing would have been funnier given the person doing the tannoy saying stuff about how stealthy the plane was an there's a dish tracking it. You are probably right though about not having the plane in "Stealth Mode" so to speak. Although the boys and girls at BAe are pretty crafty, but you can bet even if they had come up with a way to track a Stealth our tight Government would never spend money on it. The government here seems to always won't to get equipment when it has aged so much it has got cheap. Were getting AH-64 almost 20 years after you, and our Wheeled armoured vehicle project is floundering so we could end up with LAVs. Still don't have air launched anti-tank missile yet fore aircraft, nor stand off missiles. Brimstone and Stormshadow are still in development. Haven't had anythging since the withdrawal of the AS-30 years ago.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger