View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Choc I Think Choc's Kidneys *might* be slowly failing.. maybe.. (Choc is 22 1/2)

Oh man.. I don't know for SURE.. but he IS 22 1/2, and had a urine infection (little blood too in urine) last year, but with 2 rounds of antibiotics he was back to normal in a few days/weeks... but now, now is... so damn scary.. I know the time is growing close. (22 is REALLY amazing for a cat, let alone a Blind cat and his hearing isn't as good as it was, but his sense of SMELL is stronger now). but this time *feels* different...

Since Charly died of Kidney failure at almost 18, I always watch for the signs... and there have been some. just looking it up was hard to do... He's our boy! I don't want him to die.. but I also know he has been and IS a fighter.. Being born blind, and fighting his way to nearly 23 years old is incredible. I understand the circle of life, but sometimes don't want to face it.. its very sad.

Here are the symptoms of Kidney Failure ('early signs') (and if he has them)
---------------
Increased water consumption and urination (nope)
Urinary tract infections **(had one late last year)**
Constipation (nope)
Increased vomiting (nope.. none)
Diminished appetite (no way! Choc loves food.. he still begs like a dog when he can!)
Weight loss and muscle wasting **(Yes... this is what I noticed as of late)**
Lethargy or weakness **(Yes. This is what I see and worries me...)**
---------------

So anyway, what started this was I noticed over the last 2 Months his back legs have been getting weak, and sliding on the tile where he eats or drinks.. like they are weak.. this is a sign I think.... (I bought him a nice little rug to stand on to eat, and that stops the sliding). He can walk pretty good, but a tiny bit unsteady.

But a few weeks ago, I heard him chewing his treats, and it sounded like he was chewing on a styrofoam peanut.. a tooth grinding sound.. weird as hell... so after it didn't go away after 2 days, we took Choc up to the Vet, and he checked his teeth, felt his jaw and did a normal checkup.. Couldn't find anything wrong. No cracked teeth or bone issues. He did a normal checkup as well, and was good.

He lost 1 pound since his last visit in late 2013, but that may be due to the chewing issue. But he looked good the Doc said, and he seems about the same.. he's still eating all the treats (healthy ones). just slower.. And always has FILTERED cold water and the best wet foods... He likes the grilled ones, and the 'mush' ones... So I added more mush ones to his diet.. easier to eat. I just worry.. Stressed out.

But since yesterday, I've noticed when he goes to the litter box and pees, his 'stream' isn't strong as it was a week ago. No pressure behind it really.. just like 20% of the pressure it looks like... and if this keeps up, will need to see the vet again. (right?) or do older cats pee like that sometimes? sometimes he pees normal. (any cat people that may know).

Just wanted to post this... let you guys know, just in case. He's IW's mascot! And part of the forum.. (for those of you that started on the old blue board will know)

But he's eating and drinking normally (not over drinking).. eating treats, begging as usual, and does his rounds, just slower.. still jumps up on the bed with grace! But he sits odd sometimes, and I look at his face and he looks uncomfortable... maybe its just me. I dunno.. just scared to loose him..

I'll keep you updated on this.. If any of you have any tips or know the signs I talked about (back legs getting weak) etc. let me know, in this thread please.

If he changes at all I will call the vet--if the slow urinating is not normal, I'll also take him in for a full blood work/urine test. (I'm calling the vet to ask this morning about it.. just to be safe)

He still looks the same, with a few grey hairs.. I have 1000's of photos of him, and will post some soon. doesn't look unhealthy at all.. his weight has always shifted 1lb from time to time, but I am keeping a close eye on my boy.

Keep Choc in your thoughts, he may need them.

I Just know the time is getting near, and all we can do is enjoy every single day we have with him. We love him so very much.

Thanks guys

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote