View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Along with the Dark Crystal, The Neverending Story would have to be one of my all time childhoood favourite 80's fantasy films. A friend of mine has recently given me a loan of the novel by Michael Ende, which I'm intending to start very soon. It will be interesting to read of the differences between the book and the film.

I have lots of fantastic memories from the film, just thinking about Giorgio Moroder's theme from when the Ivory Tower first appears brings shivers down my spine. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The second film whilst I felt was nowhere near as good as the original, was at least far better than the pitiful cash-grab that was the third film.
The concept of the "emptiness" draining memories and identity was at least interesting and had some merit, whereas the third film had this vile notion simply called "the nasty" which was just plain silly.
It features Jack Black from memory, which could be the only reason to give it a look other than mild curiousity! When I watched it, I was very angry and very nauseated - there's no Atreyu and the Luck Dragon, Falcor is cheaply malformed and satirised, acting almost drunk at times by running into things, slurring and being non-heroic etc. Twas very sad. But at least the original holds up so very well even today. It'd be one of the first films i'd show to my kiddies, for sure. (Not that I see that happening...hehe as a confirmed bachelor)

@ Lady Zekke
I actually still have my Commodore 64 with both Labyrinth on tape and a disk version of Ocean's graphical text adventure of the Neverending Story! I never finished Labyrinth either, (lol) but managed to use a walkthrough to complete the Neverending Story. Those were the days!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote