View Single Post
Old 10-03-2001, 05:49 PM   #9
StarVid
Elminster

I agree. I mean, if they had to dual her, they should have waited a few more levels when she could really max out locks and traps, but unless I'm mistaken, there are actually no good thieves in the game. I mean, we know what happens to Yo, and Jan is multi so levels way too slow for a thief. After that, I don't think there's anyone, no? Now that I think of it, I have to revise my previous post (heading "is black isle trying to tell us something?") where I thought the best progression for a character starting at BG1 would be to be a cleric, and then dual over to a mage for BG2. Now I'm thinking a thief would be better for a PC for bg2. But then again, that screws you over because there are no good mages. I mean, what are the options, Jan (multi), Aerie (multi), Nalia (annoying), Imoen (not bad but you have to rescue her first), and Edwin (evil, won't work with a good party).

Here's what I think. I'm bringing in PnP elements into to this, but because this is using the rules from the PnP game, it's appropriate. If anyone has played PnP D&D, particularly 2nd ed. (I'd say 3rd, but I have no experience with it), adventures and campaigns generally had a target party that would work well with it. (i.e. 4-6 good aligned characters leveled 3-5 including a cleric and a mage). I think of BG less as a cRPG, and more as a single PnP adventure put on computer. The only thing is that the cRPG is less specific of party composition. What it is specific of though is party alignment. Cut it anyway you choose, this game is meant for good aligned characters. In a PnP adventure, not just a single character, but other characters would be the focus of the adventure as well. Sure, there are NPC quests, but there's maybe one or two early on, and that's that, all you have now is a non-essential (to the plot) NPC.

That's the reason why I like Jah and Imoen. Jah, being an old friend of Gorion, fits into the storyline. Imoen, and old friend from the keep, fits into the storyline. Minsc is nice, but I think they should have brought in someone like Hull (one of the Candlekeep guards) instead (after Candlekeep was overrun, he could have wanted to escape). There we have a thief, a druid, a fighter. The other NPCs should have also had some significance in the main character's life. Instead of being someone that joined up just for kicks.

I think I'm just rambling now so I'll shut up, but you get my point...