View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I think that they supply the same drivers for the Radeon 9700 in which case I had the same problem. It was fixed by fiddling around with the fglrxconfig programme - especially towards the end you get some option about whether you want to install/use XFree86. I seem to remember fiddling around with them, and it suddenly loading X. I seem to remember that the solution was counter-intuitive (ie. you had to tell it not to use XFree or something like that) but as I haven't got my ATI drivers installed in Linux (and haven't got the space for the kernel source needed) I can't check my settings.

@Intrepid: Linux is far superior in many respects. Having moved back to XP for non-work stuff, I'm dying without the console to get things done. The file system and the way drives are handled is on a different level as well. In Linux, I was able to shift my entire /usr folder on to a different drive without even having to restart. That would be the equivalent of copying your Program Files directory to a different place. I'd like to see how well your Windows applications worked after that Oh, and did I mention security? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Technologically, it's on a different playing field. However, I await the day when we can combine the ease of use of Windows, with the technical superiority of Linux. I shall be in heaven

[ 11-07-2004, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]