Thread: Religion II
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2002, 06:29 AM   #73
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:

I have one question to you guys though..

I have seen some examples about religion clashing with politics here, or at least an unsteady ground. Is their sort of a religion in the church and one religion in the street so to say??

And what are you views upon this? Should religion and politics be two seperated things, and how does that in the case of a yes concern a person that divide his life in two, one political say career and on religious..?

And I have to agree with Cerek! This is truelly a cool thread!

Thank you guys! You have made booring coffee pauses more interesting!

The "clashing" of politics and religion occur when an organized religion attempts to get certain law(s) passed. The U.S. Constitution specifically states that the church CANNOT have an active role in governing the land.

However, an INDIVIDUAL politician is certainly allowed to follow his religious covictions in supporting or opposing legislation. Indeed, it is expected. Every president that I can remember (which would start with Nixon)has made their religious views public. Whether they were sincere, or just looking for public support is debatable, but to run for President and openly claim to be an atheist or agnostic would be political suicide.

It's a two-edged sword. The American population doesn't want any single religion "forced" on them by the government (and rightly so), but they DO want the President to have religious morals and values.

Others can probably explain this better than I. Politics are NOT my strong point. Hope this has helped a little anyway.