View Single Post
Old 05-01-2001, 02:55 PM   #45
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:

I am sorry all, for the anger. That isn't my style either. And yes, you menfolk, I do forgive the thoughtless remarks as I know you are the product of a society that condones this kind of thing in it's men. 'All in fun' is a great excuse for injustice committed against all minorities. The fact that it's still okay for this against women but not for those other's mentioned in my first angry post gives me hope and tells me that we have indeed come a long ways on the road to being civilized.

-Lee
This maybe beating a dead horse, but I just logged on and read this thread.
LadyRae (hopefully you have not left), please do not 'lump' all of us men in one group. That has been the unfortunate practice of most males in our society and for a minority group (women, blacks, hispanics....) to do the same makes them no better! You talk about the negativity of stereotypes and yet you turn around and say "oh you are a man, I don't expect any better", well I take great offence to being stereotyped as a typical male. I have grown up in a household where the women have been as if not more successful than the men. Both my grandmothers were the first in their families to attend college. My mother for the majority of my time growing up, earned more than my dad (and yes they were both college educated), my wife (who had an affair and moved out, what....isn't this supposed to be a male thing to do) is graduating from MBA school and will earn more than twice as much as me, and suprise, suprise two 'men' from her school took jobs at the same firm and guess what they are all being paid the SAME salary. In my department at work there are 28 women and 24 men (and this is banking, isn't this supposed to be a male-dominated industry?), the systems group has 3 women and 1 man, my boss is female, her boss is male, and his boss is female!
I will 100% agree that there is sexism and racism in this nation and there needs to be change until "all men [people] are created equal" as it states in our declaration of independence. However, it is not only the 'middle-class, white male' that needs to be involved in this change, it is going to take everyone working together as individuals.