View Single Post
Old 03-06-2001, 04:46 AM   #1
Ziroc

Loved Cloudy's post, and it made me think about early pc games (1990 era)

I remember when I got my first IBM PC, it was a 386/16Mhz, with 1MB ram, and a 40 MEG HD!!

I remember getting my first PC game, and it was Eye of the Beholder-- Before the IMB, I always had a C-64 (well, it was a C-128, a newer model), but graphics on it were not hot, EGAish.. so when I saved up for this IBM, I remember buying Eye of the beholder before I got the PC, and I took it to radio shack and acted like I wanted to test the game out and acted like I wanted to buy their pc's I didn;t know what C:\ was, what install meant, or how to even INSTALL this game (1990 again), heeh, I learned fast with help, but do you remember the first game you ever played; that 'feeling' you got? Kinda like innocence (in a way). I wish I could 'feel that way' about games now..

Why? Because now, when I look at a game, I know if it's OpenGL, or Sprite based. I know the code, and can tell what type of 'engine' is used, and what res it'll go to, ect, ect.. I can unpack, hack, and more to these games, and it ruins it in a way.. (sigh)

I still enjoy games, but I always look at my old games with a sence of fondness, and can kinda re-live that feeling in my mind.

(This sounds freakish, I know!)

Am I crazy, or does anyone else feel this way??

Ziroc