View Single Post
Old 09-09-2001, 01:18 PM   #102
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Awwww... I'm getting warmandfuzzy feeling! GROUP HUG! (I know, that's Melusine's job, but she's not here right now! )

Sorry I wasn't around earlier but I was up pretty late and slept in today.

I'm trying to generate a character for a free form D&D campaign, 3rd ed . I've never played anything but computer rpg's (BG1, BG2 and IWD) so I'm not even sure what the heck I'm doing but the dm says I'll be ok...soooooooooo any ideas? We can be 4th level and I've been advised to avoid straight mage as it might be difficult for me to manage first time out. I'm quite used to bards (and to a lesser extent, Clerics) in my crpgs so was thinking of doing that. Would multiclass but I wonder if THAT is too much for a first campaign? Any suggestions? Advice?

Ahhh.. I just love the sun coming in the windows and all my friends hanging out here... lovely, lovely day!

Cloudy

Hmm. Though Multiclass is easier in 3rd edition then it was in 2nd, I'd still recommend you leave off it for your first character. It's good fun, but can get a little icky in terms of rule complexity.

When I'm creating a character I always try and see what everyone else in the group is going to be first, so that my character fits in and has his or her own niche within the group. Have you any idea what sort of classes the other players are? If not, it's no big deal. It doesn't really matter if it's going to be a more roleplay orientated game (which I prefer) rather then a dice and damage fest.

The Bard is a good class. You get a lot of skills which are useful, a few magical spells (though not so many you're falling over yourself trying to remember what's what) and you can swing a sword if need be. Plus you get the neat bardic music abilities. The Bard has often been called the 'roleplayer's class'.

A Cleric's okay. Your Cleric's focus will depend largely on what Deity he or she worships. They don't have that many skills, but are good in combat and have very useful spells. You just have to put up with the Fighters screaming: "Heal me!" every five minutes .

Of course, if it was me, I'd tell you to be a Paladin, but I realise they're not everybody's cup of tea.

Don't worry. The rules system for 3rd edition is a lot smoother and easier to pick up then it looks at first.

Good luck with your character, whatever you choose, and keep us posted on what happens. I'd be very interested to read about other D&D games out there.

Have fun!

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 09-09-2001).]