View Single Post
Old 10-09-2001, 01:30 PM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Why can't you accept the possiblity that your understanding of the central principles of other religions might be incomplete?

I think your religious arrogance might betray a fundamental religious insecurity. It's as if you have to constantly put down other religions in order to keep yourself convinced that you follow the right one.
G'kar is trying to tell me what the fundamental principle of my faith is Dio. Grace. To understand Grace fully, one must also understand law. It's akin to understanding freedom fully after internment or restriction.

Regarding my "arrogance", there is no insecurity. Odd that you would think it so. It is precisely the opposite my friend. Doubts and crisis of faith were things - are things - that I embrace as a precursor to a deeper level of understanding, not something I fear or remove myself from.

Regarding my "putting down" other religions, I post reactively, not proactively to ideas and theologies posted. I spent six months on here before people even knew I was Christian. I have actually shown restraint regarding my objections. Shown tolerance of other beliefs. I try wherever possible to challenge the central generic teaching, not an individuals interpretation. I respect anyones right to believe what they will. This respect must be mutual however. I am not pantheistic. Christ is not "one of the ways" one can take, but in my belief the only way. Tolerating my position is as important as me tolerating theirs.

I do care about others Dio. I care that others have not tasted Grace. I care that others are on a path to what I percieve as oblivion. I previously had no care for those that didn't want to know Christ. That was their business. Between them and God. It was arrogant of me to presume to impose my truth upon others. I knew where I was going and that's all that mattered. Consequently I only spoke of my theologies to fellow believers, taught in bible colleges, had fellowship with others on the same path.

However I have had a growing concern for others - especially after WTC. I have seen the spiritual ache and hunger in people I have spoken to that I'd have never thought possible. I've had people willing to hear, willing to open their minds in an attempt to find the same God I know. If I know him, who am I to keep that to myself? Knowing God has given me such inner peace, such joy, perception, creativity, love of life, friendliness, connection, thirst for knowledge, artistic appreciation and satisfaction, that I shouldn't be keeping that "secret" to myself. If I speak of it, and people reject it, so be it. At least I have opened my heart to them, and given them an option.

I now have to find a balance between offending, and yet adhering the growing impulses to speak.

These are my beliefs. Part of the things I have to compromise when practicing tolerance. Part of the things that in tolerating me, must also be accepted, if not agreed with.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-09-2001).]