Thread: Computer specs
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I think your RAM and Graphics card are whats lacking, but if your graphics card was upgraded, you would surely be able to play NWN smoothly.
Well the RAM doesn't have to be much I think cause winME didn't have a swap drive while in linux I use one. But I'm not sure for the graphics card. My motherboard is pretty old and it seems that if I start with upgrading one thing I've got to upgrade the rest too. And over here it's pretty hard to find cheaper than $100 graphics cards, I know they exist like in the states it doesn't seem to a problem getting parts cheap but since it'll be only a small upgrade and for NWN only I don't want to spend too much on it. I hear GForce4TI are good isn't it (I'll stay with NVidia cause ATI often gives a lot of trouble with linux and with NWN as well)?

Due to an error I couldn't post this ^ and in the meantime I looked and found a gforce fx 5200 magic for $58 and a gforce fx 5200 for $73 and gforce fx 5500T for $70 or gforce5200TD for $73. Brands are ASUS, MSI and XFX. All have 128 MB cause 256 MB wasn't really good then yet isn't it?

I've been looking on tom's hardware and it looks that in shooters 5200s are pretty fast but these games are made to be light on graphics. The other games the 5200s run around 30 fps which is some improvement on the 5-10 I'm getting now. However they have hardware that supports them to the max while I only have 4x AGP (reverse compatible aren't they?) so could these be worth buying?