Thread: Explicit Lyrics
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 12:55 PM   #20
Hiram Sedai
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Having spent over 10 years in the military I have been able to observe some mighty fine traditions, amoung which creative vulgarity was one. Of course now that the armed forces are for the most part co-ed these traditions will change, because despite what people say, women will always be treated differently from the men...unless the military evolves into Robert A. Heinleins vision of the Military in "StarShip Troopers" the movie version.....co-ed showers....what a concept

While I was in the U.S. Army for 8 years, I had the pleasure of being a part of a co-ed unit. It was a Forward Support Battalion (HHD 324 FSB, 24th ID (MECH). I know what you mean about modifying the cursing so that the females don't get offended. The females did not modify theirs though. It wasn't really a source of consternation as much as one of humor. I confess that I struggle to not use expletives when I'm angry. Both my background in Philadelphia and my time in the Army gave me plenty of verbal ammo when I get angry. But, I found it much more satisfying to use the 10 cent words when insulting.

I won't comment on the moral fiber of children and the language they use. I'm not a parent and don't feel qualified to speak knowledgeably on that subject.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

• Token lackwit of HADB
  • Sycophant to the Wolf of Azure Hue
  • Long lost brother of DragonMage
  • Bearer of a work of art created by Sazerac
  • Jeg burde blive gennembanket for min flatulens.[/list]