Thread: Explicit Lyrics
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 12:39 PM   #18
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I think that parenting and example far outweigh song lyrics when it comes to how kids learn to behave. I cut cussing out of my diet some years back. My son doesn't seem to have a problem eith it. I'll occasionally hear something that sounds like s#!t muttered under his breath when something goes wrong for him. He is, like other 10 year olds, fascinated with songs that use lots of cuss words. I just don't make a big deal of it and the fascination passes. It's a peer group thing. I remeber well enough when I was that young and everyone loved the song "Big Balls" by AC/DC. My parents didn't really allow me to listen to anything but radio, until I was in HS. I don't want to impose too many restrictions on my son. From my own experience, too much sheltering stunts a childs social development and leads to it's own problems later on. Now if I can just figure out how to make him do better in reading and spelling!

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!