Thread: Explicit Lyrics
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 12:01 PM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake:
"meaningless addition of an inappropriate word to the communication" so was ain't but last time I heard it was added to the english dictionary as a used word for are not. Anyway that wasn't my point. what I can't figure out is why "sware words" are sware words. I mean yeah they are known for being "inappropriate" but why? why are those words considered inappropriate and not others?

don't get too philosophical - this quibbling on the actual meanings of words will get you nowhere in this case. Besides, I would say that they do have actual meanings, and offensive ones at that. (this is not to say that I never swear, but I do KNOW that they are inappropriate to use and there are a number of situations which I can think of in which I wouldn't swear.) Now, as for your question, these words are considered inappropriate because of what they denote. If you call your grandmother a fuckin bitch, it is most definitely inappropriate (and that's an understatement!!), because these words DO have meaning! Now, if you use 'fuckin' in a 'meaningless' way, as in 'that was fuckin great!' (I'd argue it is not meaningless, as it's an adjective to fortify the word great, but I can see that by meaningless you mean one could just as easily use a non-swearword like 'really'), it still has the same connotations as it does in the first example. Is that so hard to understand?
Oh, and as far as I know, 'ain't' is not meaningless, it is a verbform that means the same as 'am not'. What you mean is that it's grammatically incorrect, but hey, take a look around on the Internet - what isn't?

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art

[This message has been edited by Melusine (edited 10-23-2001).]