Thread: Explicit Lyrics
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 10:47 AM   #11
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Notice that the words they leave in denigrate women in particular, whereas the ones they take out (at least that you mention) are generic epithets...

What kind of message does THAT send?
Well, I guess as long as adults with the minds of juvenile delinquint males continue to be 'in charge' of what is produced, whether it is movies or music, this will continue. I, personally, refuse to buy or see or even listen on the radio or watch on tv something so blatantly offensive and biased. It worries me as a female in today's society that people listen to this kind of drivel (no offense to those who like drivel ) may develop a 'blah' or even a negative attitude towards women as a result - without even realizing where it came from. Desensitization to violence, etc. is a big problem in our society these days.

And Drake: I've nothing against a person who swears, it's just that the words invoke a particular feeling. The difference in your two sentences is that the first one gives a sense of anger. Not only that, but there are so many OTHER words you could use to add emphasis to that sentence without using a curse word. I have developed an enormous vocabulary and LOVE to use it, but rarely do I swear. It's too easy.

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*