View Single Post
Old 12-05-2000, 08:17 AM   #3
Merc Widowmaker

Only hemens can duel class and only non-humens or demi-humens (Elves, 1/2 elves, dwarfs, gnomes, 1/2 orcs etc) can be multiclass. In duel class you are changing profession, and can only use your origonal profession once you have achieved a level in your second profession that is more then youre first. In multiclass you have more then one profesion at the same time. Experiance points are split equelly between the profesion, so you go up in levels slower the single classed characters.
In both duel and multiclass, restrictions of the class still aplies. Eg: a fighter/cleric cannot use a blade, a fighter mage cannot cast spels while wearing armour etc.
NOTE: There are sevral exeption to this rule. I cannot write all the rules for AD&D here so I'll just note a few. A fighter/mage CAN use a fighters weapons and still cast spells. A fighter/thief CAN use a fighters weapons and still use his thieving abilities. A Ranger/Cleric gets spell that a druid can use (clerics can't cast all the priest spells (druid spells))
I deuled from a Kensai to a mage at level 9 so that I could reach lvl 17 (xp max). I also horded scrolles for the xp and also so my mage would have a lot of spells to choose from. Deuling at level 9 also meant that I didn't need a huge amount of experiance points to reach a level hiegher then my first. I managed to acieve 10th level as a mage before I'd finnished chapter 3!