View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #104
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

LOL, yes, Calaethis, there is something "mother-hennish" about Gal: she likes to keep her brood together, and defends them fiercely. Now, you'll see you were right to dislike Snurll.

A few days later, Sefa received an urgent message from Naba, claiming that she had fallen ill and urging her to come to her. Resisting the initial urge to go rushing off, she reported this to her mistress. Galadria was suspicious.
"I don't like the timing of this, Sefa," she said after examining the missive. "Snurll attempted to enchant you just last week, and now you are being asked to rush off to the slums? They are full of dangerous people at the best of times. I would just send a messenger back with money for a physician and medicines. I fail to see how you could help that much by your physical presence." Sefa did so, though with reluctance. She regarded Naba as the only link to her early life and a true friend, failing to realise the hardening effect of life in the streets even on a kindly nature.
She was therefore devastated to receive another letter, two days later, from a priest reporting that Naba had died. She was requested to come claim the body for burial, otherwise she would be placed in an anonymous grave in Potter's Field. Guiltily, she dropped the paper to the floor and rushed out without telling anyone, to the temple named, the very one that Snurll had first seen Naba begging outside. The sly priest leered a bit at her, but indicated that Naba's body was laid in a back room. She sadly opened the door, and saw a slight body on the table covered with a sheet. Reverently, she pulled the sheet down, only to see Naba's triumphant face, painted luridly with rouge. She smirked at the astonished girl. "What's the matter, Sefa?" she crowed. "Too good to come to me when I was sick, but now coming for the funeral? Well, meet the funeral director." Sefa whirled around to see Snurll and two beefy thugs.
"Hello, daughter," he crooned, "I guess that you are going to come and stay with me, after all."
Sefa tried to run but the two plug-uglies grabbed her and bound her arms. She turned to Naba, who was sitting on the edge of the table, laughing at her. "Naba, how could you do this?" she cried. "I was your friend. I helped you."
Naba laughed again and went over to Snurll, putting her arm around his shoulders. "Why, Sefa," she teased, "let's just say that I have become very fond of your Da, here. A girl has to look after her future."
Snurll looked at the girl, who was undulating suggestively against him with a twisted smile. "Well, in that case, my love," he smirked, "you erred, for you have no future." Like lightning, he drew a knife and sheathed it between her breasts. Naba had only time for a startled look, then toppled to the floor, dead. He withdrew the blade and grinned at Sefa. At her shocked look, he replied, "She served her purpose, so now I have no further use for her. Besides, she knew too much. Come on, men, and help me get her outside."
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote