View Single Post
Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ten Gig of free memory? Well, Win 98 can only hand 512MB, so if you're talking about RAM, it's not being used. If you're talking about hard drive space, that's good... If you're talking about virtual memory, that's pretty much useless.

Things I'd do... and my old environment is what you have.

1. Upgrade to DX 9.0B. I'm running on Win98 with that (patched), and I have no problems.

2. Set your virtual memory to be a fixed amount at 1-2 times your actual memory.

3. There have been a number of video-related crashes. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound and audio cards, and consider dropping down your specs (to software-mode graphics and a lower resolution).

4. You might consider applying the patch (link in the Tech Tips thread). It does many amazing things... and takes away a couple as well.

5. Make sure you don't have anything else running (file sharers, other memory-resident programs). They can cause problems.

6. Defrag your hard drive. It's amazing what that can do.

Give those a shot and see what happens. I can guarantee that it works in your environment... I've run it. Post back with more system specs (memory, virtual memory, etc.).
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote