Thread: Monkey!
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Magness
Quintesson

While I've never played a monk, I generally agree with what ZFR wrote.

The improved saves feats are generally a bit of a waste for a monk. Monks have the best saves of any class.

I'd take Weapon Finesse, particularly if you're using the Wiemur EoU mod's sub mod for "monk fists as light weapons". Heck, I'd get it regardless and use short swords and daggers in melee to take advantage of your monk's outstanding DEX.

I think that Strong Back would be a feat well spent, given your monk's low STR. Dodge would be worth the cost, since a +1 AC would be worthwhile for a decoy, defensive monk.

Improved critical is a must have, when you have a high enough BAB.

I wouldn't bother with Dash. Monks are already fast enough. Save the feat for something better.

I do not believe that Heretic's Bane is available to monks, since it requires the ability to cast divine spells.

I'd probably take a 2nd point in small blades, and spnd 1 or 2 points in Bow. Sure, you could just use a sling or darts, but as thrown weapons, they get the STR bonus added to damage, and your monk has none. A bow would be a more productive ranged weapon for this character.

I'm not really sure that I'd spend points on Ambidex and Two-weapon fighting. It's not bad choice, but you'd probably get more bang for the buck from the other feats I've listed.

Regarding skills... Move Silently and Hide all the way. Both are DEX based skills that will be greatly enhanced by your character's high DEX. Any of the INT or CHA based skills would be wasted, given your char's low INT and CHA.

Here's a different skill choice to consider. Think about taking a point of Wilderness Lore. Sure, it will be an off-class 2 point skill, but with your char's high WIS, even 1 point of WL will be fairly useful. And you would really only "need" 1 point.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote