Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
quote:
Originally posted by Micah Foehammer:
quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Ok, so what I take away from all that is that it's to be implied that Hicks doesn't belong to the group of Muslims that have said it's ok to lie to infidels? Curious.
No, that's not necessarily true.

The Taliban Movement is a Sunni Islamist fundamentalist.

al-Qaeda or al-Qaida (القاعدة, translit: al-Qā`ida; "the Law", "the foundation", or "the base") is an armed Sunni Islamist organization with the stated objective of eliminating foreign influence in Muslim countries, eradicating those they deem to be "infidels", and reestablishing the caliphate. The most prominent members of the group are adherents of Wahhabism or Salafism, two understandings of Islam which have influenced militant groups.

Salafi Muslims are often grouped together with Wahhabi Muslims, although the two movements began independently and originally held opposing views. Wahhabism rejected modern influences, while Salafism sought to reconcile Islam with modernism.[1] Use of the word "Salafi" can be very confusing, as the term has been used by several competing Islamic groups that are known by other names. It can be used to describe a general veneration of early Muslims, or it can be used as another name for political Islamism.

So the answer to the question is - I don't know.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Cool. Thanks for the references. They're not saying what Johnny said they were saying though.

Now, what about the Torah?
I know. [img]smile.gif[/img] It was quoted for information purposes, not to take sides. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll let you handle the Torah.

Yorick - sent you a new pm. Different subject.
[/QUOTE]Ok, so if he belongs to the group that does say it's ok to lie to infidels, then anything he says in confinement is subject to be a lie? Because he would be justified by his faith to do so. In fact, it would seem that he'd almost be obligated to. After all, he's being held by what he sees, or saw, as infidels. Why should he tell the truth?
[/QUOTE]Perhaps he wouldn't. It's conjecture at any rate. If he did lie on the stand, then perjury could be added to the charges.

In the end it doesn't matter, and while its an interesting side topic to debate, it IS a side issue, at least with respect to David Hicks. Hicks' guilt or innocence will be decided on the basis of the charges brought against him for his alleged complicity in the Taliban / Al-Qaeda terrorist organizations. His religion (Islam) is not on trial, and it matters not what sect of Islam he converted to or what it's beliefs are.

The only pertinent point about his truthfulness or not would be to perhaps cast some doubt about the the charges of torture he has brought against his guards / interrogators at Guantanomo. Those charges will have their own day in court as well, most likely.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote