View Single Post
Old 07-17-2001, 07:16 PM   #8
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

while carsomyr's dispel magic on hits and 50% MR are nice, these have a definite limited use. very very few opponents that you would send a fighter after actually have spells up that would be dispelled. magic resistance, imo, is a crapshoot, and i personally don't rely on even odds that my paladin will resist a spell (he already has great saves vs spells).

the silver sword is okay, but a 1 in 4 chance that they MIGHT fail a save vs death at -2 (death is usually the easiest to save against; many creatures where chopping their head off would be of the most benefit have death saves of under 4) just isn't much use to me. add in that there are tons of monsters that just don't have a head to chop off or are impossible to do so to and the mighty vorpal sword just doesn't cut it.

lilacor [sp] is fine for fledgling lords, and the immunity to confusion/charm seems to make it tailor made for minsc (love that 6 wisdom). but its lack of any combat or special abilities combined with "only" a +3 bonus puts this sword in the second tier.

the warblade isn't anything at all. an extra potential 2 points of damage, whoopee. speed factors are bunk. joe fighter still gets all his attacks PER ROUND regardless of whether they're early or late.

soul reaver, otoh, is always a benefit. anyone attacked by it is practically doomed to die as they become increasingly pathetic in combat. soul reaver is easily the best overall two-handed sword because, quite simply, it improves upon what a fighter is already superb at.

if you have doubts as to the reasoning, match up a paladin with carsomyr versus a fighter with soul reaver and see who meets his god.