View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 12:30 PM   #7
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

antryg - There is a difference between spending money on something that qualifies as "durable goods" (to use Purchasing terminology) and something that is nothing more than a passing fad. I remember hearing similar stories when Pokemon and Power Rangers were the hot items for Christmas. My wife and I probably spent about $250.00 on our 3 boys also...but that was for ALL three of them. We didn't spend that kind of money on any ONE gift (not even for each other).

johnny - I suppose the adage about "spending it if you got it" is true. The wife and husband both have administrative level jobs at different hospitals (small hospitals, but still). And the husband comes from a family with money. I suppose to them, $200.00 per child isn't excessive. As you said, I have also heard crazier stories.

Timber - I doubt they "swamped" the kid with other gifts. They have one son who is a senior in high school and a girl that is approaching her teen years, so the money has to be "spread around". Last year, the kids got an X-Box...but that was the one BIG gift and it was for all 3 of them to share. Of course, they had just purchased the PS2 the year before, so it isn't like any of the kids had to actually "wait in line" to play games.

Arnabas - Your point is the one that bothers me the most about this whole affais. The adult's in our society today often feel like they "have to" buy their kids the latest and best toys/clothes/cars/etc. The problem is that the child never learns to appreciate the stuff they get when the parent gives them whatever they want. I remember seeing interviews of parents a few years ago during the Power Ranger Craze!. Several women said they were calling every toy store in town asking WHEN they were getting their next shipment of Power Ranger figures in. These women would then go stand in line (and sometimes even fight with each other) over who got the "best figures" as they came off the truck. One woman said she had a set schedule she followed so that she arrived at EVERY toy store in town shortly after their truck arrived.

She said her efforts had paid off, though, because she had FINALLY gotten her son ALL the Power Ranger figures....at a grand total of around $2,000.00!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

My question was .....how did she PAY for them?? Since she was never at WORK!