View Single Post
Old 02-12-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

Algerian pilot and September 11 terrorist suspect Lofti Raissi has been released on bail by London magistrates following an extradition hearing .

He showed no emotion as a magistrate told him the US Government was unlikely to bring terrorist charges in the "near future".

Training

Raissi, 27, of Colnbrook, Berkshire, is accused of training the suicide hijackers who crashed into the Pentagon.

He has spent five months in custody and is facing extradition to America on two counts of falsifying an application for a US pilot's licence.

District Judge Workman said: "I'm satisfied there's no likelihood of terrorism charges being proffered against Mr Raissi in the near future.

Investigation

"Mr Raissi has appeared before me on six occasions since September 21, and on each occasion the prosecution has sought a remand in custody and I was informed these were holding charges and far more serious offences linking him with September 11 will be proffered.

"Inevitably the investigation is a long and painstaking one and all possible steps must be brought to bring the perpetrators to justice."

His family agreed to give a £10,000 surety Raissi was ordered to live at an address specified by Belmarsh Magistrates Court.

He was also told he would have to surrender his passport and not apply for international travel documents.

'Justice done'

Raissi's French wife Sonia, speaking after the Judge's decision, said she believed justice had been done.

She said: "We've been waiting five months and my message to the FBI is `you arrested him for terrorism so why do you want to extradite him for these ridiculous, minor charges?'."

James Lewis, representing the US Government, told the court Raissi should not be granted bail and was still a terror suspect.

Hearing

Prosecutors allege Raissi had links to Hani Hanjour, the pilot suspected of crashing Flight 77 into the Pentagon.

Raissi was indicted by a federal grand jury in Arizona on charges of falsifying applications for a pilot's licence and other documents.

He has also been indicted in Arizona on 11 more counts, including conspiracy to submit a false immigration claim.

Raissi is due to appear before Bow Street Magistrates court in London on March 28 for a further extradition hearing.