View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 PM   #40
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Heh, H, that's what I was thinking. The only way you can be unique now is to go to Africa Here in Europe the big thing when I was around 10 or something was to go to America. Then that was done to death. Then the big thing was to go to Australia and/or the far east. Then a lot of people did that before uni. So then you couldn't be special by having visited either north america or the far east or Australasia. However, visiting Africa or Latin America is still regarded as special [img]smile.gif[/img]
Fully, dude.
Right now in NZ the trend for university graduates is to move to Japan, South Korea, England, France or the Western US for a few years. Of course, alot of Kiwis move to Australia (particularly Sydney), but that doesn't count, NZ and Australia are practically one country (it costs about the same amount for me to fly to Auckland in the North Island as it does to fly to Melbourne ). We call our ritualised migrations the 'OE' ('overseas experience'). S'weird. I guess we do it because NZ has such limited, isolated culture, we need to get up and out to experience different ways of doing things.... I dunno, that's my take on it.

Anyways, I'm planning on doing the standard kiwi 'teach English in South Korea for a year' after I graduate. But after that, I think I might give Africa or South America a try, I'll be sure to let you know how it goes