View Single Post
Old 04-19-2002, 06:33 PM   #36
Krishach
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
The odds of a speck of dust spontaneously becoming life, in a warm pond, purely by chance strikes me as unlikely in the extreme. The odds of it happening are apparently the same as a person winning the lottery 200 times in a row. (20 kazillion to one) Something that is a theoretical possiblity, but which if it occurred would be presumed to have SOMEONE BEHIND IT, manipulating the outcome.
The odds of some God that spontaneously decided to create Earth and creatures on it, as if by a whim, strikes me as unlikely in the extreme.

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Creationism is a consistent theory that has remained unchanged for thousands of years.
Possibly because there's no way for people to gain more information on it besides having faith that there is a God there, whereas evolution is backed by scientific evidence that's tangible and shows that evolution probably does occur in the world.

In conclusion, to each their own. I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. If a one true almighty being does exist, well then, I'll find out when I die I guess. Who's to say we aren't just figments of a dream, that we aren't truly alive? It's possible. Perhaps extremely huge mortal humanoids created us as a play thing, that we are a mere speck in an acutally MUCH bigger world, and the humanoids have forgotten us under their bed. Personally, I don't worry about it, I have many other things to worry about, such as school, my job, my girlfriend, my hobbies. I just sit back and take each day as it comes.

Anyway, that's my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]

(This thread can't be heading in a good direction.)

[ 04-19-2002, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Krishach ]