View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #23
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
True ADHD is caused by a chemical imbalance or structural problem in the brain. It is the opposite of autism. This is a disability and treatable by drug and psychological therapy.
What does the chemical balance involve? I'm really interested. If you got your info off a site, could you give us a link to it please?

Quote:
Many children are thought to have ADHD when in fact it is nothing but a learned behavioral difficulty. Concentrating on difficult things is mental exercise and can be considered uncomfortable and frustrating. Not teaching children to do it at an early age can cause problems later on. Teaching young children to concentrate by reading books with them and not using the TV as a babysitter are some of the best ways to avoid this. A variety of activities meant to stimulate/develop the brain and body, and teaching proper social behavior at a young age is key. If you let your kids run around screaming and do what they want without guidance or structure, you can expect learning difficulty when they start kindergarten. [/QB]
I found that really interesting. I read extreme amounts of books as a child.... nor did I run around like a young hooligan (I was a very reserved child, an [img]graemlins/angel.gif[/img] if you will. What on Earth happened.) and yet I still had concentration problems within the classroom. Does this mean that according to your theory I would fall into the category of children with ADD, as opposed to simply having a learned behavioural difficulty? I don't know if I agree with your theory.. but, it does give one food for thought. Thanks!

Also did not know that it was opposite to Autism... Double thanks!