Thread: AMD vs P4
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 01:14 AM   #26
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
What do you think about MSI or ASUS instead?
If you have the time, browse several hardware forums and read about the users' complains, that will give you the general idea which manufacturer sucks.

I don't know about MSI, but generally speaking, ASUS boards are okay.

I would advice you to go to The Firing Squad. They have good selections of hardware reviews for mobo and graphic cards.

Quote:
Over the years I've heard a LOT of people say "this mobo manufacturer sucks" or "that one is the best", etc...

The truth IMO is that you need to evaluate on a motherboard by motherboard basis. Just because the Gigabyte mobo that was available back when the TNT2 was out was a problem doesn't mean much when you're talking about their new boards.

You might say that it sets a prescedent of problems, unreliability, etc... well to that I would say that almost ALL mobo makers have had some duds.

Performance wise the major brand mobo's are almost always within a percent or two of eachother. Get a board that has the features you want at the price you want. Make it a well known brand (I've run Asus, ABIT, Gigabyte, MSI, Intel, etc...) or even one of the not so well known brands (I've got an old ECS board that's run continuously for 2 years or so, and that brand has a crappy rep. I also have a Soltek board that failed in 14 months... and they had a great rep)
Well, at least they should have came clean and admit that they screw up big time instead of "upgraded to version x firmware to fix this problem", which does not do anything at all. Just put a bloody note on the mobo's information page warning people that it is not compatible with x model of hardware.

I don't mind that some mobo can't work with certain hardware, but JUST be honest and not to try to hide the fact. It took me 30 minutes going through Giga-Byte's web site just to find a "hidden" FAQ about the GA-5AA's "possible" compatibility with TNT2. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!