View Single Post
Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #27
Link
Jack Burton

Hearing all these stories makes me realise how lucky I've been in more than one situation, really. To be quite honest, I've been waiting for the 'major setback' for a long time now, as I believe it will help me learn who I am more, and put me right back into the real world, showing me I'm not the only one in the world who can pull things off time after time. It may sound a bit weird, but it's really what I'm waiting (hoping for it would be exaggerative) for.

In short, this is my life's story. I've always been kind of successfull in (almost) everything I try to do. I played tennis for some time, won a couple of tournaments, I played soccer for some time, I got invited to play for a professional soccer club, I played field hockey for 3 years, and I got placed in the main squad of the boys after one year. Hell, I honestly believe that if I started playing darts now I would end up winning the Embassy one day. Mind you, this is not me bragging off or something, it's just the way I am, and I really don't get why I'm so good at things. On the one side I'm glad I can do things with ease; I feel sorry for those who don't have the opportunities or talent I have.
Now here comes the bad part. I am quit smart, always have been. So when I was in junior high, I had no difficulties whatsoever in getting good grades. Even in high school I never really had any trouble. You'll probably say: "Wow, lucky you!", but it's exactly the opposite. At one point, you'll start realising that you can do it anyway, you don't have to study as hard as your friends and classmates do. You start realising you'll make it anyway. And that's what exactly what happened for my graduation. I did almost nothing to learn for my final tests, and yet I managed to graduate (albeit barely). The grades weren't good, I'll give you that, but I graduated anyway, so who cares?!
Since September 2002 I started my Archaeology studies at Leiden University, and although I didn't like it in the end, I told my parents I would try and finish the year successfull and pass all my tests. In the end I did nothing the second semester and failed almost all of them. My parents were angry with me, of course, and threatened me that if I wouldn't pass the retries (dunno the English word for it) for the tests in next August, I would have to quite rowing (something I liked very, very much). I had to make five tests in one week, and you know what? - I didn't even fret about it one thing. Hell, I didn't even study that hard. Of course, I did something, but just the bare necessities. In the end, I passed 3 of the five tests, satisfying my parents enough to continue rowing the next year and to let me continue the Archaeology study (which I didn't, by the way).

After having bored you all with this story ( ), I was wondering about the following point (yes, there was a point [img]smile.gif[/img] ); what is the best? Having a life where you life from this moment to the next, wondering if the major setback will ever occur, or having had a major setback already and knowing that you don't want to experience it again?