View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002, 01:33 PM   #34
B_part
Quintesson

Second part: about cloning.

I am against that, for two reasons.

first of them is technical: Nuclear cell replacement (the technique used for cloning) produces cells which are old, as someone has already pointed out: the somatic cells from which the nucleus (=DNA) comes from have already underwent many replication cycles, meaning their chromosomes are shorter due to the absence of telomerases. Hence the newborn cells will be limited in the number of divisions, and we don't know yet what this might cause. In fact some problems of aging have been pointed out about dolly.

second is ethical: contrary to what many think, a clone would share with the "original" person only body features and at most some general attitudes. Your DNA doesn't determine what your personality, culture, background and whatever will be. So a clone would be just a body copy, no more. The problem is, the newly cloned individual will have serious identity problems, no matter what science says.

So my point is, cloning is dangerous and will lead to problems to the clone. And this must not be done. This is intentionally causing harm to a human being. UN banned that, EC did it as well, and I agree.

P.S. MAnipulating stem or embryonic cells is entirely another matter: you don't "produce" individuals, you simply produce cells.