View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #37
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Well, a documentary that's basically putting John Kerry on par with the anti-Christ who directly worsened the war in Vietnam because of his actions (funny how no one brought this up 30 years ago) seems like a no-brainer to me when we're discussing the validity of this thing. It pre-emptively seems like a huge stretching of the truth (I'd still watch it for sheer comedy value, though ), but that's not the issue at stake here - while Sinclair has the right to say whatever he wants to say, and while he's technically not violating any rules with his orders to his networks, I do believe this doesn't deserve any airtime on publically accessible airwaves - morals, ethics, integrity, bad judgement, bad taste, whatever - and in the light of the elections not exactly an improvement on the quality of the debate overall. We've seen more than enough cheap and unconvincing smearing already with Awolgate, "flip-flop", F9/11 and the Swiftboat Veterans, now could we please let it rest already?
I actually agree with everything you've said here, Grojlach. Only one minor correction - Sinclair is the name of the corporation that owns the stations and not the CEO himself (AFAIK, anyway).

I agree completely that it is blantant political smear and does dredge "bad taste" to new depths. But the program is not being "forced" on anybody - so long as they have a remote control. I certainly won't be watching it, even though I don't plan to vote for Kerry. I wouldn't dignify it with my viewing time.

I also disagree with the implication (made by a good friend of mine who is a hardcore liberal) that the Bush Administration has any connection to this action by Sinclair. I think they did it on their own to win some major brownie points.

Anyway, that's my [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img] on the subject.