View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 04:42 AM   #95
Aerich
Lord Ao

Castle Maluradek - Dungeon 4

Getting to the good stuff now.

Upon entering, buff up. Chaotic Commands, Exaltion, Mind Blank, and Impervious Sanctity of Mind ought to protect you against the Sleep gaze of the jackalweres. To be honest, I didn't bother to use any of these, although I had some memorized for contingencies in case of problems.

Entrance - Call up your screen of summons and pace forward while detecting traps. The first corridor is the only part of this area that has much in the way of traps. You can walk right through them, but a dispel trap would be unfortunate. Jackalweres aren't too tough if you can prevent them from focusing on weak characters. The entire area is narrow, so blocking a passageway with two or three tanks is easy. Make sure you disrupt the shamen.

Summoners, Shamen and Glabrezu - disrupt the shamen with long-lasting AoE spells, then cast Horrid Wilting to get rid of all the bats they call up. Hack down the jackalweres with at most three tanks and summons. The glabrezu can be left for later if they are attacking summons or your best-AC tank. When you have all the annoyances out of the way, focus fire on the glabrezu and they will go down quick. They have fire immunity and some magic resistance, so they are best finished in melee. If you wait long enough, more glabrezu will arrive. This would be an ideal spot to camp without sleeping, as I believe the summoners keep pumping out glabrezu. At 50 000 XP apiece on HoF, they give enough XP to be noteworthy for even a very high level party, and they are quite easy to kill when they attack the combined might of your party without anything else to distract your attention. The summoners are a cakewalk once you run them down in melee.

Shamblers - they take half damage from slashing and piercing weapons, and are immune to crushing and fire damage. They are vulnerable to electricity, taking a goodly portion of bonus damage. It is effective to take them on with summons, your best tank using a non-crushing weapon and a static-charged druid. I've used the Slayer spear a lot with the F/D because of the tight quarters on this level. It doesn't matter that his AC is relatively poor, because nothing attacks characters using two-handed weapons if you place them correctly.

Jackalweres in the southeast - be careful, because there are masses of them. It should go without saying that full buffs are needed here. A setup of two or three wide across the passageway is necessary for survival. If you can set up a number of Skull Traps and Glyphs of Warding in the more open area, so much the better. Put some Spike Growth there too, and send your tank in around the trap spells. Once you draw the first one, most of the rest will come. Put out some expendable summons so that the jackalweres cluster around them at some distance from the party, then let them have it with the best AoE in your possession. Mordenkainen's Force Missiles also give good value here. When they close with your tanks, cast or shoot with the protected characters as you choose. Your cleric(s) shouldn't be in the front line, as rebuffing and healing may be needed. Surprisingly, a high AC tank can last for quite a while, but it's a good thing to keep your best healer in reserve.

On a side note, a high level warrior/cleric multiclass is devastating from range. Ogre Gauntlets + Draw Upon Holy Might + magical sling + magical bullets = 20-25 dmg per hit and huge to-hit bonuses. 25 Str and Dex on a slinger is money in the bank.

I'm a little surprised at the amount I fight in melee. I estimate that nearly 50% of the damage my party causes is from melee weapons, with 30+% from spells and 20% from ranged weapons. There are a few reasons. First, I've got weapons with fantastic specials: extra attacks, resistances, extra damage, stun effects, and slow. Missile weapons just can't compare for dealing out copious amounts of damage, especially bows (which do not get a strength bonus) - slings aren't bad, and the repeating heavy crossbow holds its own. Second, I use spells mostly to whittle down the enemy and make them come to me in managable numbers, not to flat-out kill. It's inefficient to use spells just to cause damage, because enemies have so many HP you'd have to rest twice per level. Third, I only have about 1.5 arcane casters, including the bard, and just four slots combined for Horrid Wilting. Fourth, a warrior can generally cause more damage with weapons than a mage or priestly caster using low to medium level single-target damagers, and that damage is more consistently applied - it is not subject to enemy saving throws. Finally, it's a pain to dig in my bags of holding for ammo. I've got tons, but the inventory management is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome.