View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 01:42 AM   #1
seclists
Dungeon Master

Hi, one of my computers is a Linux computer (RH7.something) dedicated for browsing and reading/sending webmail. The problem is, the default browser in the install (Netscape 4.7something IIRC) is behaving pretty poorly. It often crashes without any apparent reason messing up something as it does so and fails to restart (forcing me to *reboot* the whole Linux system, merely killing the NS processes does not fix the problem). Also, the scripts used by many webmail services often fail to work in Netscape, making such functions as "Send" impossible to use. :/

So I'm looking for an alternative, as the computer is definitely usable aside from the browser. I don't need no Flash or other sexy features, just enough (Java)script support to enable webmail services. And since the computer is a bit "elderly" (it has only 48MB RAM), the browser would have to be relatively "light". It would definitely be a plus if you can turn image autoloading on/off as needed and set script execution and cookie privileges on a per-site basis.

Any suggestions?
(Addendum: I'm using Gnome, not KDE, if that makes a difference.)

[ 02-14-2005, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: seclists ]
seclists is offline   Reply With Quote