View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Key Wizards & Warriors Data Files

Finally, the first glimmer of a breakthrough. The bol files list props, monsters and loose items.
Column 1 lists the type: I = item, M = Monster and P = prop. (0000 = ?)
Columns 2:4 list the number of the object as found in the relevant D6 file, D6Item.dat, D6Mons.dat and D6Prop.dat. Thus “M009” means monster #9, which is F’Lokis Ra. (Take 1 away from the line number and you have the correct number for the object. This assumes that the you have the correct number of characters per line: 284, 340 or 56.

Now I need to decrypt the location which is proving tougher than expected.

It seems that no “bol” file means none of the features found in “D6Prop.dat”. From what I have seen so far, if you remove the bol file before you explore a dungeon there are no props and no npcs. However after you explore, all of these things have been recorded in the save file, hence you won’t realize what the bol file does if you remove it then.
Props have the following numbering scheme when used in a Bol file:
0 (null)
1 Forest Tree
2 Cedar Tree
3 Willow
4 Sequoia Tree
5 Lever
6 Treasure Chest
&&&&&&&&&&&&&
234 Flora
235 Giant Boulder
236 Idol Of Bongu
237 Unearthly Cello
238 Possessed Violin

Roster.dat
Roster.dat has an initial section of 120 bytes and 15 records of 10,232 bytes. Hence the records are not exactly the same as the ones below.
Initial section has 15 long, four digit, numbers giving starting locations of each record along with 15 four digit “in party” sections. If the PC is in the party the in party section starts with a “1”.
Exactly how they compare to the save game records is something that I will need to look into. From what I can see with a quick glance: there is no difference in the 10,232 bytes that the files have in common.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 09-21-2018 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Add Roster.dat information
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote