View Single Post
Old 06-22-2002, 02:43 PM   #95
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
another thing that bothers me. since they dont have so many arguments to disqualify teams, they address their hairstyles, money, and other things that belong off the pitch. what have italy hairstyles have to do with them losing???

its ridiculous (its done in a humorous way, but also to reinforce his argument) and it has nothing to do with italy winning or losing. anybody who has played football knows that when you enter the pitch all those things dont count and the richest player works his ass off for the better of the team as the lowliest one (and i reckon the bigwigs in fifa have NEVER EVER hit a football in their lives). the argument of the lost occasions like vieris is also sutpid. so, if you lose a goal its ok that you get cheated on by the referees? nonsense. you can play like shit, and still win honestly. thats football.
It's called satirising a team because they are carrying on like idiots about how they were hard done by. In Australia it's called whinging or being gasbags.

Here's an example: you've read about Luciano Gaucci, the Perugia president who sacked Ahn, the Korean who scored the winning goal against Italy? He has to win the prize for being the biggest sore loser of all time. It's these kinds of actions that make columnists write things like what I posted above - it's easier to poke fun at people who are carrying on with histrionics like the Italians are carrying on - rather than people who take defeat with grace, congratulate South Korea, and then work quietly towards improving the standard of refereeing, rather than bleating "we wuz robbed!!" over and over and over again.