View Single Post
Old 04-07-2001, 02:26 PM   #145
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

More and more info, especially for you guys who want to play EVIL!!

Throne of Bhaal
Mark Darrah (Lead Programmer)
Importing a BG1 Mage into Throne of Bhaal and choosing a Wild Mage kit: They should be able to.

Though as I write this I realize that it hasn't been tested.
Dave Gaider (Senior Designer)
Familiars getting 1D6 damage and beefing them up for TOB: That rabbit is just wack. When I was going through the familiars for their upgrade, the rabbit had all sorts of strange stuff I don't remember it having last time I looked. Fire damage? Yeesh. Code creep, I guess. As far as the individual attacks go, no...they were never set out to do 1d6 damage each. It depended on the creature type. The cat should have an attack though.

Well, I won't go into the gross details of what's being done with the familiars, but they are being powered-up a little overall. Keep in mind that's it's still a small extra and a 1st-level spell...we're not looking to make them into monsters, here.

HP's are being increased, resistances that they had are increased, plus they get either a new spell-like ability (or two), better attacks or better skills (each of the neutral animals now has one thief skill that they are a master in).

But for details on exactly what's what, you'll have to see in the game itself.

More evil options: Right now, we're trying to include as many real evil options as we can. I know personally I've been adding more 'evil' replies into dialogue...sometimes just for effect, sometimes a path of its own.

Some guy: "Excuse me, sir...I would not disturb you, I know how powerful you are and I...I would not think of, uhhh...but I need your help! I beg you!"

1) "Certainly, what is the problem?"
2) "Is there a reward involved?"
3) "Yeah, well, things are tough all over. Take a hike."
4) "Let me put you out of your misery, then, fool." (Attack)

Stuff like that. As far as the game overall goes (including the ultimate ending), let me just say is that we're keeping all options (including evil ones) open.

Having very crowded areas: Actually, we've found an OK way of doing it, recently.

We have the ability to keep a certain number of sprites 'on-screen' at any one time. As soon as they go off-screen, they DestroySelf. So it's a constant re-spawning process. On a decent-level processor, you can get quite a crowd without too much speed-loss.

Thing is, we have to keep min-spec machines in mind, as well, so we're always going to have a limitation on the number of animations that can be processed by the computer at any one time. If you have a big area loaded in (like, say, Waukeen's Promenade) you have to account for all the 'placed' characters that aren't just random crowd members, as well...and that takes up a lot of processing power, as well.

That said, we've got some spectacular mass-combat situations in store for you guys. Imagine being able to keep 20 opponents on-screen constantly. Blow away 5 soldiers, here come another 5 charging in from off-screen...it's pretty intense.

But you'll have to see it for yourself, I'm sure.

------------------