View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 10:24 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Crazed Silly PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING * * Forum Guidelines And FAQ ~Last Updated 02 Nov 2007~

FFFFFF">First of all, welcome to the Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal forum, one of the many forums that you can find in Ironworks. The following contents of this post will hopefully help you to quickly settle in among the veterans and other regular members of this particular forum.

Secondly, you may want to read the Rules And Regulations, if you have not done so already. It is a pretty short page, and very concise, so spend a few minutes to go through it. If at any time you need to refer to it again, go to the top of almost any page and click on the button that looks like this,

With that out of the way, on to other matters.

00FFFF">SPOILERS:
--------

I quote from the Rules And Regulations,
Quote:
Warn before you Spoil: A spoiler is something that reveals information about a plot twist or the location of some object/character/hidden place in a game. Spoilers are by their nature subjective - you will need to use your judgment to determine what these are.

Many people in this forum talk about 'general' game issues, such as "What is the best party for whatever" or "Should I drop whoever from my group?". These types of posts usually don't require spoilers as they are general information. Other people might have specific game questions like "How do I get past so-and-so" or "Where is such-and-such". These would be considered posts requesting spoiler information. Some are obviously bigger spoilers than others.

There are also posts which refer to specific plot twists in the games here, A lot of people who come here do NOT know about certain plot twists which the rest of us might take for granted. Unmarked spoilers about these detract from these people's gaming experience. The majority of people don't like finding out about a plot twist before they were meant to. (Like someone telling you the ending of a movie before you see it)

As a courtesy to other board members who may not have gotten as far in the game as you have, please abide by the following when requesting or revealing spoiler information: Do NOT reveal the spoiler in your title. Put a SPOILER tag in the title so people know you will be revealing spoiler information. Put spoiler spaces just before the part where you are revealing the information.
If you want a summarised version, you may refer to this thread, "On Spoilers"

In addition, it is common practice to point out to a person if he/she has spoiled openly without prior warning. I emphasise though, be polite about it. Ask the person nicely to edit his/her topic title if it is a spoiler, and add a spoiler tag to his/her post if necessary. You may be wondering now, what is a "spoiler tag"? Allow me to give an example below.
Quote:
Case 1: The Wrong Way
Character X is actually a Gibberling!
Quote:
Case 2: The Right Way
Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Character X is actually a Gibberling!
Also, if you want to mention ToB( Throne of Bhaal, the SoA expansion) issues in the forum, please add a FFFFFF">[ToB] tag to your thread's title. Remember, not everybody has the expansion, so what you say may not make sense to them, and it will also spoil them.

You may also use HTML to disguise your spoiler into the background. Forum posts are made of two colours, #3D2F1B for the darker ones, #44341D for the lighter ones, and #564006 for the Quotebox. NOTE: FF0000">USE THIS METHOD ONLY IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH HTML. To see the spoiler, simply press Ctrl + A.

Lastly, if you are referring to a mod, make sure you make it known that you are talking about a mod, lest you confuse people who do not have the mod. As before, add a mod spoiler tag as well( not strictly necessary though, it is more important that you just mention you are talking about a mod).
________

MULTIPOSTING:
--------

Whether by accident, or intentional. Multiposting is not encouraged in this forum. We are not blind. We can see a topic even if you only post it once. We have lives. Do not expect instantaneous answers, believe it or not, we may have other things to do and cannot observe the forum all the time. It may take a few hours before somebody answers. Be patient. Spamming the forum with threads that deal with the same question will only invite trouble for you( and may annoy people who would otherwise answer you).

Use the edit/delete function to delete the excess posts/threads. On every post that you make, there is a button that looks like this ----> . This is your edit/delete function.
________

LANGUAGE:
--------

Refer to this thread, "Forum rules (please read)" for more details.
________

SPAMMING:
--------

This is a game forum, and deals specifically with the game, "Baldurs Gate II:Shadows of Amn". Topics not relating to this game are considered spam in this forum. If you wish to discuss something else, choose an appropriate forum for that particular issue.

There is a General Discussion Forum where you can post a wide range of topics from "Beef vs Lamb" to "What I did in school today". Have fun there.
________

REPORT POST FUNCTION:
--------

The button is NOT for you to use to ask for game tips. It is NOT a hotline help button. The button is for you to report disturbances, acts of villainy or possible issues with the Rules & Regulations that another member might have infringed in that post/thread.

For example, if you think a member's username is potentially offensive, then by all means use the button, or if you think a member is flamebaiting another member, or if you think the member is acting out of control.

Those are valid reasons.

If you really want to garner game tips from any of the moderators, please use the button. This is the equivalent of calling a policeman's mobile phone, which is his own personal business. You do not call his office phone for irrelevant matters.
________

Okay, I think I have covered all the major areas. Please adhere to these guidelines, and enjoy your stay. Cheers.

If you can think of other forum issues that should be dealt with in this post, feel free to send me a Private Message. Just remember, the purpose of this thread is not to give out game information.

Last edited by Dundee Slaytern; 11-02-2007 at 10:43 AM.