View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by pokeygamma:
Sometimes I wonder if I got really, really lucky. I tried killing Firkraag for the very first time last weekend, and succeeded, on the first try.

My party, main weapons:
Corilon (elven fighter/mage), dragon gear (the helm, shield, and long sword found in that dungeon)
Minsc, Lilarcor (Swing harder! Swing harder! Swing harder!)
Jaheira, Gnasher club, Fortress Shield, cloak of displacement
Aerie, Sling of Everard
Jan, Light Xbow of Speed, bolts of biting, lightning bolt, +2, etc. etc.
Valygar, Celestial Fury, Boots of Speed

Everyone was around level 11-12, believe it or not. I had already cleared out nearly every quest available in Chapter 2; I think the only stuff left is Kangaxx, the various personal quests of NPCs I didn't use, and the really tough lich in the Bridge District. Windspear was the last quest I did.

First, I took off Corilon's armor and had him summon an earth elemental and two air elementals. Fortunately, all three were friendly. Aerie then did a Spider Spawn, and got one spider (booo!), and then Jaheira summoned a nymph. (Five summons max.) Nymph immediately barkskinned herself. Corilon, Aerie, Jan, and Jaheira stoneskinned. Aerie chanted, prot.evil 10' radius, remove fear. Minsc, Valy, and Jaheira spirit armored. Corilon blurred and put his shadow dragon scale back on. Jan imp.invised Corilon. Jaheira blessed everyone/thing. Let's roll.

Sent in the five summons to surround Firkraag first. I figured he'd cast a Death Spell on the first thing, so I sent one in ahead of the rest; sure enough, one of the air elementals was kacked immediately. Jaheira replaced this with a fire elemental (I don't think it could damage Firk, but neither would Firk's breath hurt it, so it's a great meat shield). Everything else attacked immediately, and it was on.

Aerie immediately threw two Lower MR at him, while Jan threw Greater Malison and Jaheira threw Doom and an Insect Swarm. Oddly, I don't think Firk ever put up the mass of protections that the shadow dragon did, so Aerie never needed to Breach him. She got one of her three Holy Smites off, but then somehow he managed to remove her fear protection and then scare her, so she was out for the rest of the battle.

Flame arrows apparently hurt Firk. Jan threw both of his two, then two magic missile, and was going through his acid arrows until the end.

Meanwhile, Corilon, Minsc, and Valygar were busy whacking away, while Firk stomped my summons to goo. Occasionally he'd wise up and claw at Valy a few times, until finally I had to run him away and suck down some extra heals. Firk would naturally try to chase him, and not succeed due to all the enemies in the way, and I'd get some free hits in; then he started in on Corilon, until I had to run him off, feeding him one of my haste potions. I noticed a few dragon breaths, but they apparently all went toward my summons.

By the time I had to retreat Valygar, I noticed Firk was already Badly Damaged. When Corilon had to run back, he was Near Death. A couple more whacks from Minsc and he fell.

Other than spells, I had consumed a grand total of four extra heals and a haste potion. No one even needed to be resurrected. Aerie's fear wore off in three more rounds. I myself was stunned for an additional two rounds.

So here I am with a Carsomyr and no paladin.
If you want a great NPC in your group to use the incredibly overpowered Carsomyr, use Keldorn. He's an awesome fighter, and so is Valygar. I had previously ditched Anomen for Valygar, and Jaheira for Keldorn. I don't regret it the least.
And I'm surprised that a flame arrow hurt Big F. Shouldn't he be immune to fire damage?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote