View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 11:38 AM   #21
Radek
Red Dragon

The phased combat works the following way: You are the trigger of all your attackers. All opponents are allowed to approach you and attack once. Then they have to wait for your action. Any action. You can attack, cast spell, move to another place and so on. This allows the opponents to attack again once. And so on.
The result is that you have some time to think of your action. You can decide whether you will cast a spell and which spell without being killed in between for example. Well, you must know that the opponents will be often faster than the effect of a spell [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] If you want to heal yourself then you have to begin enough soon and use enough strong spell.
I consider the "phased combat" much better idea than, for example, the "turn based combat" from MM games. (Let's call it turn based combat even if it is no turn based combat. A perfect example of a turn based combat is Realm of Arkania.) My only objection is that the "phased combat" should be an option and not a default. Who is supposed to press the 'T' key every time he leaves a town or changes a map?