View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by ryaldin:
Hey, I'm an American Student studying at the University of Ulster at Coleraine for two semesters. I've been here since Sept. 12 2003, and I was just fortunate enough to catch a mild case of conjunctivitis (pink eye) [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] . How does the healthcare here work?

I tried talking to the people at the student health service, and they said they couldn't do anything for me unless I was registered with a general practitioner, and I tried to go to a GP and the secretary at the Doctor's office said that unless I wanted to spend some hefty sums in doctors' fees, I would be better off going straight to the pharmacist. I don't have any problem paying for my medicine and my health care, but I just don't understand the system. Any help?
I'll take UK Healthcare for £200!

If you are a student in the UK and your course lasts 6 months+ you are entitled to free treatment under the NHS. But to get any treatment you will need to register with a GP.

If you living in the UK for less than 6 months you will have to be treated as a private patient and you will need to pay privately.

The eye drops commonly prescribed for conjunctivitis are only available with a prescription. So going directly to the pharmacist won't help you.They are cheap £1.08 for a course but an NHS prescription will cost you £6.80 (I think).
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show