Thread: LOF: Awakenings
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 AM   #9
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Edward Locke

“I do not know, Simon,” he says with the characteristic measured pace of his words, “for the first time in quite some years, I simply do not know how to proceed.” The silence that holds between the brothers is awkward. Edward seldom expresses confusion before anyone, even his brother, let alone the strange uncertainty that now marks both his words and his bearing. “This Joseph,” he continues, “there is the ring of truth about his words. And more....” Again he falls silent as he puts his thoughts in order. “..... there is that about him which makes him believable. And yet, it is he who insists that he is not to be simply believed.” He stops. Despite the uncertainty he has expressed there is a firm clarity in his gaze as he fixes his eyes upon those of his brother. “And in that regard I believe he is absolutely correct.” Another pause, punctuated by a series of deep breaths. “And this is what puzzles me, for this is a man that should he wish to deceive us would seem to be able to do so with no small ease, and yet it is he who is the first to indicate this and to encourage a certain skepticism within us regarding his words and actions. He is..... talented, Simon, remarkably talented, but with a talent unlike any I have ever witnessed.” He grows very quiet and his eyes stare vacantly at his feet. “And I wonder, to my shame, what danger I may have invited in seeing that his life be preserved.”

Noting his brother’s reaction, he raises his hand. “No, Simon, please do not be shocked or dismayed with me. I do not regret for one moment the choice to do what the laws of goodness and hospitality demand. But I cannot refrain, in this instance at least, from wondering what price obedience to these laws will exact from us...... from all of us.” He pauses only briefly to note that he is understood by his younger brother before continuing. “He has told me much, more than the few minutes of our time together would seem to allow as possible. Visit him, Simon, and speak with him. We must decide together what to make of this man who seemed so frail just yesterday and yet shows so little fragility today.”
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote