Thread: music
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2001, 08:52 PM   #37
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Black,
I'm saying this with a wry smile so don't take anything as agressive or anything, ok?

The point of language is to convey an idea adequately from one mind to another. It's important when you use a word to use it in the context that the majority of previous users have indeed used that word or confusion and misinterpretation arises.

Thus, what you are speaking of is NOT Nirvana, but simply meditation. To the concept's originators Nirvana is indeed the cessation of existance - the ultimate ideal pursed by the Buddha - and in Buddhist thought unatainable by anything less than a Buddhist Monk.

In the same way Buddha is not (a) God. He preached worship of the 'Gods' to be futile as they were caught up in the cycle of rebirth as much as humans.

Similarly Shiva is not to be confused with the monothiestic God/Allah/Jehova, as 'he' is part of a pantheistic pantheon, and is actually the opposite of a creator spirit (Shiva is the destroyer).

I hold beliefs 'that work for me' but in the process am aware that loving fire is not the same as loving ice. I am aware of the differences between faiths so I can adequately choose. I too attain the peace you are referring, but through prayer rather than meditation alone.

I'm glad it works for you B.K.

Hey, did you get the Pat Metheny rant?