View Single Post
Old 10-17-2000, 04:17 AM   #7
MrCreosote

But this is crap. What I mean is not your replies !! but the fact that I cant run my other of mix of applications in the background whilst running the game then alt-f4 to minimise the game so that I can go to the other apps. For example, I connect to the net cos thats my business, and where I live net connection is crap so it regularly drops. I want to know when emails arrive so I need my net connection up. This is all very reasonable. BUT when the connection drops the game automatically minimises and you cant recover it except to end task it or if an email arrives I have to QUIT out of the game to read the email. Absolute bollocks. This game is NOT compatible with running other than stand alone, as if you have to quit out of it to do anything else then it completely defeats the point of being a windows based game and may as well run in DOS mode. Effectively that is what it is doing and it is an expedience that they have released it as a windows game when it isnt. I really dont give a shit what the background is of DWB - we all have Dos backgrounds etc but that doesnt mean that everything you do today has to be couched in past technologies. Also it is up to Activision to INSIST that the product supplied to them by the developers is a Windows game and they didnt do that, just packaged the code and sold the game. They havent even corrected the old name of the game "Deep6" which shows up in file names etc. Its completely shoddy. This game will BOMB and deservedly so. It IS a FANTASTIC game but no matter how good the story etc etc if it doesnt run then it isnt any bloody use to at least 50% of the potential audience. It also bugs me (excuse the pun) that for newcomers to RPG they are gonna be put off for life if this is their first experience of an RPG.

I think DWB has made a BIG mistake. I can understand his frustrations with finding a publisher after a 4 year search and there is a logic that says at least is HAS been published, but I for one will not buy another of his games UNTIL I have read notice boards etc to see whether it is a viable proposition. I bought this game straight away because I am a fan of DWB, but not again. I feel there must be a considerable number of others who will also adopt this approach to future DWB games.

No amount of wishy washy excuses can excuse poor quality in any form. This game IS poor quality. It has the guts of a great game but the final product SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PUBLISHED IN ITS CURRENT FORM.

I can almost forgive the dreadful interface etc etc but what I cannot condone is the fact that it is not really compatible with the operating system it pretends to run on. Absolute total friggin crap.

DWB - IF you are reading this, which I very much doubt, then dont rely on your rep in future because its blown. I truly hope you can produce further wonderful games but for god's sake man get the bloody things to work with the operating system. Its pretty damn basic and if you are a programmer of any worth you can do this with very little effort.