View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 09:08 AM   #62
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Thanks, L33, it was most satisfying to write, I can tell you.
Calaethis, Viconia is a cleric, a much better one than Jahiera, since she advances faster and has better spells.

All right, this is the beginning of Part II:

"Uriel! You get right down here!"

The sound of an angry young woman's voice could be heard throughout the House of the Dome. Uriel, by now grown into a mischievous 6 year old girl with long golden hair that gave her an inappropriately angelic air, was lurking beneath the stairway in one of her favorite hiding-spots. The voice got louder and was revealed to be coming from Sefa, who had matured into a long-legged young woman. Her freckled face was distorted into an atypical scowl as she methodically searched the house for the errant child. As she passed by the stair closet, her sharp ears picked up a muffled giggle. She sneaked over to the partially opened door and struck quickly, grasping Uriel by one ear and dragging her forth.
"Ow! Sefa, not so hard," she howled. "I'll tell Aunt Gal, and she'll whip you, or maybe turn you into a lizard."
Sefa gave the miscreant a harder tweak of her maltreated ear before letting it go. "My Mistress would not do anything of the sort, brat," she answered coldly. "She is waiting for you right now for our Magic lesson, and she is more likely to whip you for wasting her time. Now, you fork over my grimorie, I know that you stole it, so don't bother to deny it."
Uriel reluctantly handed the outraged apprentice her hard-earned grimorie, or magical recipe-book. Sefa had finally made strides in spell-casting, and almost all of her notes were in this battered volume. Uriel had become fascinated by the book, and had been taking it without the owner's permission and studying it in private. She had already decided to become like her mother and her idolised aunt and be a spell-caster, and was trying to follow Sefa down this road. She adored her mother, of course, but it didn't take as much intelligence as she had to figure out who was in charge at the House of the Dome, so Galadria was the one she chose to emulate. Besides, Galadria tended to spoil her, whereas Noemi was stricter, as befit a mother.
Chastened for the moment, Ureil followed the older girl downstairs to Galadria's study. The dark mage was waiting for them, clad as usual in a black silk magician's robe, this one with hints of gold embroidery here and there. Her brunette hair, still without a trace of gray, was confiined in a bun on the back of her head, the better to keep it out of her way. She smiled as her pupils came in and sat on a couch facing her big table, then reached over and kissed Uriel in greeting and ruffled Sefa's curls. She winked at her apprentice with a broad grin. "Good afternoon, ladies," she began. "Sefa, has Uriel been being bad, again? I couldn't help hearing you."
Sefa looked at the golden-haired thief, who looked so piteous that she relented. "Not really bad, Mistress," she answered, "but she did take my grimorie again without my permission. I caught her reading it in the stair closet."
"But, Aunt Gal," Uriel protested, "I like to read it. When Sefa writes things out, she writes everything, from how you stand, to how to remember the gestures, to how to pronounce the words of the invocations. Your books are so hard."
"El," Galadria answered benignly, using her household nickname, "if you'd pay more attention in lessons and take more notes, you could make your own grimorie. I know that you can read and write, so it is time you started your own. I'll speak to Em. But, I can understand how you'd find Sefa's notes useful, without the bother of making your own. Just ask permission, next time, please." There was a glint in her eye as she said this, and Uriel understood that her aunt had every intention of being obeyed. She resigned herself to being polite, because Galadria's wrath was not one that any of the residents of the house invited.
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote