View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I always run Hijack This before rebootig or turning off my computer every day. I am glad for it today. It saved me, from what I have read.

There was a file that was found called Microsoft Office.hta. It had never turned up in a Hijack search before, so I was suspicious. Running a Google on it, turned up this, among other hits. Obviously, it is not really a Microsoft file.

What it did was turn off my XP firewall so that if and when I rebooted, it would be allowed to download a bunch of crap. I zapped it in Hijack This and run a bunch of searches. When I rebooted, the MSN firewall was indeed disabled and begged to be turned back on, which I complied.

Just for your info...I have more than the XP firewall enabled. I also have a Hardware firewall and Zone Alarm, along with Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster...two programs that help keep the defences up. I also have Adaware, which does a better job at finding stuff than does Spybot, but I have Spybot anyway. I scan for viruses with Panda and Trend Micro both.

My greatest resource, however, is definately Google, which always tells me what suspicious characters are once my Hijack This program finds them.

Be on the alert.