View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I wouldn't say I'm defending the monopoly, TL, although I was unaware of that issue being brought to court. What I'm considering is the cost of alternate sources for that service... until someone else can come up with a way to deliver mail across the country for 37 cents an ounce (or the proposed 41 cents).

IOW, don't argue about whether they should be raising or lowering the rates. Argue about what alternatives you have for that service. And do remember that bulk mailing (i.e. advertising) provides a lot of income to the USPS. Get rid of it, and you'll see the rates go up a lot more.

If someone else can come up with a way to provide the same service for a better price, then they'll be in business, and that independent government monopoly can bring it to the courts again.

Email has already taken out some of the USPS' income. People mail fewer letters, to the point where real letters are somehow more personal and exciting than the mass-market stuff. Somehow, I suspect that email will cover the next change as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.