View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 08:33 AM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Dagorian - I purchased a new system last August and had to buy an O.S. for installation. My only choices were WindowsME or XP (neither of which I was excited about). I wanted Win98 because that's what I had on my old system and I had heard "horror stories" about WinXP.

I checked with a local computer store and was told that the ONLY time people have problems with WinXP is when they try to upgrade from Win98 or Win95. I would recommend you keep your Win98 and just wait until your ready for a whole new system before changing O.S.

My experience has been the same as Ronn Bmann's, I have had no problems with WinXP. In fact, the only "glitch" I've encountered at all is a game I purchased off of eBay that (unkown to me) is DOS-based. WinXP is not compatible with it, so the game will not work at all on my new system. I also just purchased a copy of Activision's Spiderman (the first version, not the movie version). I've had some minor glitches with it too, but nothing that I couldn't work around.

While I don't take full advantage of the multi-media software, it is nice to know it's there for novices like me who don't really know exactly what they are doing with it.

So - KEEP WIN98 - until you decide to replace your entire system. After that, I would definitely recommend WinXP.