Thread: Mozilla
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 06:51 PM   #28
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
Hang on someone give me a clue here... What's so special about these other browsers? I mean, I've only ever seen IE, what can they do that IE cant?
This was posted at the MozillaZine forums, and about sums up everything that is wrong with IE:
Quote:
[in reference to keeping IE updated]
Only if you're running Win XP. Everyone else, including Mac users, have been abandoned. If past history is any predictor of future performance, I wouldn't depend on that.
[...]
[in reference to IE-only sites]
Er, um. I think I know what you mean. Yes, there are sites that depend on IE proprietary tags and (mis)behavior, including ActiveX. IE with ActiveX enabled is a security risk. ActiveX disabled means the user must diddle with security settings and white lists; is he that knowledgeable? Otherwise if the web author sniffs browsers and refuses to serve to non-IE, then customers are driven off when in fact, most browsers would handle the site well enough anyway.
[...]
IE is obsolete, buggy, non-standards-compliant, and (historically) a walking security vulnerability. There is no sane reason not to switch to a modern browser. Pick one; Moz/Gecko family, Opera, or the khtml family. They are each and every one better and safer than IE.
If that isn't good enough for you, I will gladly send you a 22 page PDF of articles that say similar things in longer ways. One of them even comes from Slate, a Microsoft owned site...